In our annual holiday episode, we turn to the natural world for carols and lessons on the plants and animals of the Yuletide season.
Please check out our Patreon page! You can help support the show for as little as a dollar a month, and get some awesome rewards at the same time. Even if you can’t give, spread the word and let others know, and maybe we can make New World Witchery even better than it is now.
Producers for this show: Heather, WisdomQueen, Regina, Jen Rue of Rue & Hyssop, Little Wren, Khristopher, Tanner, Achija of Spellbound Bookbinding, Johnathan at the ModernSouthernPolytheist, Catherine, Carole, Debra, Montine, Cynara at The Auburn Skye, Moma Sarah at ConjuredCardea, Jody, Josette, Amy, Victoria, Sherry, Donald, Jenni Love of Broom Book & Candle, & AthenaBeth. (if we missed you this episode, we’ll make sure you’re in the next one!). Big thanks to everyone supporting us!
Download: Episode 137 – Yuletide Cheer! 2018
Much of the lore featured in this episode comes from the following books and websites:
- Henderson, Helene, ed. Holidays, Festivals, & Celebrations of the World Dictionary, 3rd ed. Omnigraphics, Detroit: 2005.
- Illes, Judika. Encyclopedia of 5,000 Spells. Harper Collins, New York: 2009.
- Opie, Iona, and Moira Tatem. A Dictionary of Superstitions. Barnes & Noble Books, New York: 1989.
- Raedisch, Linda. The Old Magic of Christmas. Llewellyn Publications, Woodbury, MN: 2013.
- Santino, Jack. All Around the Year: Holidays and Celebrations in American Life. Univ. of Illinois Press, Chicago: 1995.
- Caring for wild birds in the winter season (Mother Nature Network): https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/animals/stories/how-to-take-care-of-birds-this-winter
- Aesop’s Fables: “The Ants and the Grasshopper” (Library of Congress)
If you have feedback you’d like to share, email us or leave a comment. We’d love to hear from you!
Don’t forget to follow us at Twitter! And check out our Facebook page! For those who are interested, we also now have a page on Pinterest you might like, called “The Olde Broom.” You can follow us on Instagram or check out our new YouTube channel with back episodes of the podcast and new “Everyday Magic” videos, too! Have something you want to say? Leave us a voice mail on our official NWW hotline: (442) 999-4824 (that’s 442-99-WITCH, if it helps).
Promos & Music
Music from this episode is licensed from Magnatune unless otherwise noted. “CC License” indicates a Creative Commons 2.0 Share-and-share-alike license.
- The Holly & the Ivy – Quire Cleveland
- Ceremonies for Christmas Eve – Passsamezzo
- The Holly Witches’ Dance – Harper’s Hamper
- Ivy is Good – English Ayres
- Green Grows the Holly – Shira Kammen
- The Blood-red Rose at Yule – Music for a Winter’s Night
- Christmas Tree – Emma Wallace
- Kentucky (Ohio) Wassail – Quire Cleveland
- Apple Tree Wassail – Shira Kammen
- Here we Come a-Wassailing – Harper’s Hamper
- Wassail Song (1913 – Vaughn Williams) – Quire Cleveland
- While Shepherds Watched their Flocks – Alabama Sacred Harp Singers (Wikimedia – CC License)
- Shepherd’s Carol to be Sung on New Year’s Day – Passamezzo
- On Christmas Day – Jean Ritchie (Library of Congress – Public Domain)
- The Boar’s Head Carol – Harper’s Hamper
- The Wren in the Furze – Shira Kammen
- Fowles in the Frith/Bird on a Briar – English Ayres
- Little Skylark – J. Tucker (used with permission of artist)
- Da Day Dawn – Samantha Gillogly (used with permission of artist)
Incidental Music for this episode includes “O Christmas Tree,” by Jeff Wahl (Magnatune); “Snow Drop,” by Kevin Macleod (Free Music Archive – CC License); and “The Sighful Branches,” by Axletree (Free Music Archive – CC License).
Please think about checking out our Audible Trial program. Visit Audibletrial.com/newworldwitchery to get your free trial of Audible, where you can download over 180,000 titles (including some narrated by Cory). Your purchases help support this show, and there’s no obligation to continue after the free trial