Today we’re taking a brief look at the folk magical system of the Pennsylvania German (or “Dutch”) community, known as Powwow or Braucherei. We’ve got an interview with braucher Robert Schreiwer, several readings on the topic, and some charms, spells, and songs, too.
Download: Episode 49 – Powwow and Braucherei
Books mentioned within the show
- Discovering American Folklife: Essays on Folk Culture & the Pennsylvania Dutch, by Don Yoder
- The Long Lost Friend, or The Pow-wow Book, by John George Hohman
- American Shamans: Journeys with Traditional Healers, by Jack Montgomery
- The Red Church, or The Art of Pennsylvania German Braucherei, by Chris Bilardi
- Hex and Spellwork, by Karl Herr
- Buying the Wind, by Richard Dorson
- Strange Experience: The Autobiography of a Hexenmeister, by Lee R. Gandee
- Signs, Cures, & Witchery, by Gerald C. Milne
- Ozark Magic & Folklore, by Vance Randolph (section: “Power Doctors”)
- Powwowing Among the Pennsylvania Dutch, David W. Kriebel
- Hex Signs: Pennsylvania Dutch Barn Symbols, by Don Yoder
- New World Witchery Podcast 29 featured an interview with author Jack Montgomery, who presented some good information on powwowing
- Urglaawe – Braucher Rob Schreiwer’s site on Heathen braucherei
- Three Sisters Center for the Healing Arts – A place to learn more about braucherei & associated practices
- Braucher.webs – Braucher Rob Chapman’s site for powwow and braucherei
- New World Witchery posts on Braucherei: Intro Part I, Part II, and Part III (also see our page Resources: Magical Systems, under the heading “Braucherei, Hexenmeisters, & Pow-wow”)
- We have a great written interview with braucher Chris Bilardi here: Part I & Part II
- An online essay on Powwow by David W. Kreibel is available here
If you have feedback you’d like to share, email us or leave a comment. We’d love to hear from you!
Don’t forget to follow us at Twitter!
Promos & Music
German folk songs came from the site Mamalisa.com. The songs played in this episode were:
- Winter, Ade!
- Taler, Taler du musst wander
- Meine Hande sind verschwunden
- Rolle, Rolle, Rolle
- Guten Morgen ruft die Sonne
Incidental music was Johannes Brahams, Symphony No. 4, found at Archive.org
Promo 1- Lamplighter Blues