We look back at the subject of broom closets this time around, and then dive into the uses of everyday and household ingredients in folk magic.
Please check out our Patreon page! You can help support the show for as little as a dollar a month, and get some awesome rewards at the same time. Even if you can’t give, spread the word and let others know, and maybe we can make New World Witchery even better than it is now.
Producers for this show: Corvus, Diana Garino, Renee Odders, Ye Olde Magic Shoppe, Raven Dark Moon, Ivory, The Witches View Podcast, Sarah, Molly, Corvus, Catherine, AthenaBeth, & Jen Rue of Rue & Hyssop (if we missed you this episode, we’ll make sure you’re in the next one!). Big thanks to everyone supporting us!
CONTEST ANNOUNCEMENT! It’s been a while, so we want to do a second round of our Audio Spellbook, so all you have to do is send us the sound of *you* describing your favorite spell which uses everyday ingredients (things you could find in a spice cabinet, grocery store, or backyard, for example). You can either record your spell and email it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us and leave us a voice mail on our official NWW hotline: (442) 999-4824 (that’s 442-99-WITCH, if it helps). You can also get an extra entry by sharing either our Patreon page or our Contest Announcement via your favorite social media (make sure to tag us or get a screen capture you can email to us). What will you be entered to get? Well, you’ll get a NWW Annual Mailer (who can’t use an extra one of those, right?), a couple of bottles of our personally handmade condition oils, a folk charm or two, and a book or two to make it all even better!
Download: Episode 88 – Everyday Magic
Some of the previous episodes and website articles we mention in this show include:
- Episode 2 – Broom Closets & an Interview with Sarah Lawless
- Episode 27 – Spring Cleaning
- Episode 37 – The Audio Spellbook
- Blog Post 113 – Spiritual House Cleaning
- Blog Post 162 – Broom Lore
- Blog Post 182 – Lost in the Supermarket (Part I)
- Blog Post 183 – Lost in the Supermarket (Part II)
Cory also mentions his interview on the Witches’ View Podcast, where he talked about cleaning lore and brooms.
Some books worth checking out on the subject of everyday magic include
- Magic When You Need It and The Big Book of Practical Spells (forthcoming), both by Judika Illes
- The Magical Household, by David Harrington & Scott Cunningham
- The Black Folder, by cat yronwode (there are several essays in this about kitchen-cabinet spellwork)
- Spiritual Cleansing and A Century of Spells, both by Draja Mickaharic
We mention the awesome site Wolf & Goat as a place for finding really unique magical wares
Laine talks about Brazilian Bahia Bands as well
If you have feedback you’d like to share, email us or leave a comment. We’d love to hear from you!
Promos & Music