-SHOWNOTES FOR EPISODE 39–
On this episode, we go through a lot of listener feedback, share a few thoughts on being new to a magical path, and give a few updates about what’s coming up for New World Witchery.
Download: New World Witchery – Episode 39
- From the feedback question about altars, some good books might be The Encyclopedia of Spirits and The Encycolpedia of Mystics, Saints, & Sages, both by Judika Illes
- From the question about divination, Aeclectic Tarot has wonderful comparisons and reviews of different tarot and oracle decks. You can also check out the Rabbit Tarot that Laine mentions, and our free Cartomancy Guide if you’re interested in playing cards.
- We had a question related to spinning wheel magic, which was based on our discussion from Podcast 25.
- Velma Nightshade asked a question about the Biblical Magic episode. Cory mentioned the Book of Pagan Prayer (though I intended to refer to the Pagan Ritual Prayer Book), both by Ceisiwr Smith.
- We mention Oraia Helene as a great resource for information on the martial arts and magic.
- We answered some questions in regard to our Secrecy & Silence posts.
- Check out the Book Reviews post mentioned as part of the “learning hoodoo” discussion.
- The “learning hoodoo” discussion also mentions a series of posts from us (starting at Blog Post 29), and several books that can help a person get started:
- Spiritual Cleansing and A Century of Spells, by Draja Mickaharic
- Mules & Men, by Zora Neale Hurston
- Hoodoo Herb & Root Magic, by catherine yronwode
- The Voodoo Hoodoo Spellbook, by Denise Alvarado
- Conjure in African American Society, by Jeffery Anderson
- Black Magic, by Yvonne P. Chireau
- Master Book of Candle Burning, by Henri Gamache
- Secrets of the Psalms, by Godfrey Selig
- We also used an email from VII at Magic & Mundane to jump into a discussion of being new to a particular path.
- You can now request Card Readings from Cory via email, if you are so inclined.
We’ve got a Spring Lore Contest going on until March 21, 2012! We’re looking for Springtime Lore this time around: seed planting rituals & customs, fertility charms, spring cleaning spells, etc. Anything and everything related to Easter eggs, baby animals, April showers, and (shudder) bunnies. Send your entries to email@example.com to enter, and be sure to put “Spring Lore” in your subject line. Three participants will win one of three prizes: a copy of Etched Offerings: Voices from the Cauldron of Story from Misanthrope press (an anthology of pagan fiction featuring stories from several podcasters like Oraia Helene, Saturn Darkhope, & me!), an email card reading from Cory, and a goody box from Compass & Key Apothecary featuring several of our oils, curios, and mojo bags. More details coming soon!
Don’t forget to follow us at Twitter!
Promos & Music
Title music: “Homebound,” by Jag, from Cypress Grove Blues. From Magnatune.
Promo 1 – Between the Earth & Stars
Promo 2 – The Pagan Homesteader
Promo 3 – The Texan Heretics
5 thoughts on “Podcast 39 – Feedback, Newbies, and News”
You don’t give yourselves enough credit. I can understand why you say you are new at this – doing this for a short period of time – but the amount of knowledge you impart each episode goes beyond the newb level.
Just catching up on your show, it’s fantastic 🙂 Btw, I just rewatched “Woman on Top” a while ago with Penelope Cruz and while it’s totally cheesy I thought there were some great witchy elements – there’s an offering scene to Yemaja that I thought was pretty awesome.
I’m a Wiccan, and I listen to the show… just had to drop that in here after listening to the end of the Ep. I enjoy hearing about different sorts of magical techniques I might be able to use in my practice. While everything y’all talk about doesn’t necessarily line up with what I do, it’s always interesting. 🙂
Thank you for the repreve that you gift me with! I am so greatful for all you do. Your podcast is like a magical vacation for my ears while I am at work. Thank you. I love it!
Thanks everyone for these responses! We really needed the positive boost we got after this episode aired, and I think we’re starting to energize and revitalize after shaking off the negative stuff.
We really appreciate all of you so much! Thanks again!
Comments are closed.