Podcast 54 – Raising a Magical Family
Tonight we look at raising children in a magical household and around a magical lifestyle. We also discuss negotiating the ‘spouse-space.’
Download: New World Witchery – Episode 54
We reference several books and ideas, and manage to skip some we should have mentioned. Please check out the links below for more on this topic:
- I mention and HIGHLY recommend Tomie dePaola’s Strega Nona books, including the original Strega Nona, Strega Nona’s Magic Lessons, & Strega Nona’s Harvest. He also has a great collection of Mother Goose rhymes to check out.
- I talk about how I’m currently terrifying my delighted four-year-old with Roald Dahl’s The Witches.
- As an introduction to fairy tales, I recommend the Fairy tale collection from Golden Books, or learning the ones found on Sur La Lune’s website.
- A beautiful and gentle film about living with magical companions is Hiyao Miyazaki’s My Neighbor Totoro. You can see a (shaky) clip of the “umbrella dance” I mentioned here.
- Laine didn’t mention it, but her magical childhood was heavily influenced by F. H. Burnett’s The Secret Garden.
- There are some great magical & craft-based children’s activity ideas in the Waldorf educational style found at the blog Alina’s Adventures in Homemaking.
- I would definitely recommend scouting as a good introduction to nature & wonder for kids. Check out Spiral Scouts, the Pagan-friendly scouting group, or the more mainstream alternatives of the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts of America.
- And of course, Laine takes much parenting inspiration from the aunts in Practical Magic.
- In that vein, here is the Simply Recipes brownie recipe – for making brownies for breakfast.
- You can’t go wrong with the wonderfully witchy and motherly Confessions of a Pagan Soccer Mom blog. For fun, open-spirited, and nature-oriented activity ideas, I highly recommend the blog At Home with Momma Skyla.
If you have feedback you’d like to share, email us or leave a comment. We’d love to hear from you!
Finally, keep an eye out for Fifty-four Devils, Cory’s soon-to-be released expanded cartomancy guide! Should be available within a week or so!
Promos & Music
Tags: children, family lore, folk magic, magic, magical lifestyle, magical practice, nature education, new world witchery, Podcast, podcasting, practical magic, recommendations, storytelling, tales, witch, witchcraft, witcheryBoth comments and pings are currently closed.