Podcast 65 – The Slender Man Discussion (with Fire Lyte)
This episode features an extended discussion with Fire Lyte of Inciting a Riot about the recent Slender Man stabbing incident, mental health and treatment, folk belief, and faith-directed action in the magical spirituality community.
Download: New World Witchery – Episode 65
While the discussion ranges widely, here are some highlights:
- If you don’t already listen to Fire Lyte’s show, Inciting a Riot, you should check it out
- The primary story we’re discussing is the Slender Man stabbing incident. While I cannot guarantee every subsection of the NBC news feed on the subject protects the rights of the minors involved, at least at a high level it doesn’t seem to broadcast names, so I’m linking there if you want more on that incident.
- If you want to know more about Slender Man, I’d recommend the Wikipedia page, the Something Awful form (NSFW), and/or Creepypasta. Just please remember, this is an internet meme/netlore. Please DO NOT take these sites as gospel or hurt anyone because of what you find on them. They are ENTERTAINMENT ONLY.
- Fire Lyte mentions and recommends the skeptical inquiry show Oh No Ross and Carrie
- Fire Lyte cites an article on auditory hallucinations in schizophrenia.
- Cory talks about auto-flaggelation and self-immolation (specifically Thich Quang Duc) as an aspect of darker faith-based action which complicates our understanding of ‘right’ and ‘wrong’ action.
If you have feedback you’d like to share, email us or leave a comment. We’d love to hear from you!