Podcast 61 – Mardi Gras!
We look at the various traditions, festivities, and delights of Mardi Gras and Carnival, and then explore Lent with a special guest. We’ve got articles, cocktail recipes, conversation, and music! Laissez les bon temps rouler, y’all!
Download: New World Witchery – Episode 61
- We hear a bit of history on Mardi Gras from Jack Santino’s All Around the Year
- I read a segment of “The Election of the Pope of Fools” from Victor Hugo’s The Hunchback of Notre Dame
- You can read the quotes from Mark Twain on Mardi Gras here
- I describe a country Mardi Gras as found in Richard Dorson’s Buying the Wind
- I share recipes for a Sazerac and a Hurricane (with my own magical twist)
- I cite our article on “Magical Cakes” to talk about King Cake
- Please check out our guest Scarlet’s site & show
- If you have feedback you’d like to share, email us or leave a comment. We’d love to hear from you!
Promos & Music
Song List (all songs found at Archive.org’s Audio Library):
- “Zydeco Stomp” – Clifton Chenier
- “Bourbon Street Parade” – Louis Armstrong & the Dukes of Dixieland
- “Orys Creole Trombone” – Dutch Swing College Band
- “Hey Pocky Way” – The Grateful Dead
- “Way Down Yonder in New Orleans” – Dutch Swing College Band
- “Dixie” – Louis Armstrong & the Dukes of Dixieland
- “Basile Mardi Gras Song” – A. Michot (misattributed in the episode)
- “Sweet Georgia Brown” – Louis Armstrong & the Dukes of Dixieland
- “Look at my King”- King K Damon
- “Morning Has Broken” – Kaar Norge
- “Just a Closer Walk with Thee” – Louis Armstrong & the Dukes of Dixieland
Tags: America, American, Carnival, fasting, feast of fools, folklore, hurricane, jazz, king cake, Lent, Louisiana, magic, Mardi Gras, New Orleans, new world witchery, Podcast, sazerac, tales, witch, witchcraft, witcheryYou can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.