Podcast 61 – Mardi Gras!
We look at the various traditions, festivities, and delights of Mardi Gras and Carnival, and then explore Lent with a special guest. We’ve got articles, cocktail recipes, conversation, and music! Laissez les bon temps rouler, y’all!
Download: New World Witchery – Episode 61
- We hear a bit of history on Mardi Gras from Jack Santino’s All Around the Year
- I read a segment of “The Election of the Pope of Fools” from Victor Hugo’s The Hunchback of Notre Dame
- You can read the quotes from Mark Twain on Mardi Gras here
- I describe a country Mardi Gras as found in Richard Dorson’s Buying the Wind
- I share recipes for a Sazerac and a Hurricane (with my own magical twist)
- I cite our article on “Magical Cakes” to talk about King Cake
- Please check out our guest Scarlet’s site & show
- If you have feedback you’d like to share, email us or leave a comment. We’d love to hear from you!
Promos & Music
Song List (all songs found at Archive.org’s Audio Library):
- “Zydeco Stomp” – Clifton Chenier
- “Bourbon Street Parade” – Louis Armstrong & the Dukes of Dixieland
- “Orys Creole Trombone” – Dutch Swing College Band
- “Hey Pocky Way” – The Grateful Dead
- “Way Down Yonder in New Orleans” – Dutch Swing College Band
- “Dixie” – Louis Armstrong & the Dukes of Dixieland
- “Basile Mardi Gras Song” – A. Michot (misattributed in the episode)
- “Sweet Georgia Brown” – Louis Armstrong & the Dukes of Dixieland
- “Look at my King”- King K Damon
- “Morning Has Broken” – Kaar Norge
- “Just a Closer Walk with Thee” – Louis Armstrong & the Dukes of Dixieland
Tags: America, American, Carnival, fasting, feast of fools, folklore, hurricane, jazz, king cake, Lent, Louisiana, magic, Mardi Gras, New Orleans, new world witchery, Podcast, sazerac, tales, witch, witchcraft, witcheryBoth comments and pings are currently closed.